The Technion Israel is located in the city of Haifa Israel on top of Mt Carmel. Then it was Ottoman Palestine before World War I. The first ideas were conceived in the early 1900 as a school of engineering and sciences. The only other institution of higher learning then was Betzalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem that was founded in 1907.
In the year 1912 when the first cornerstone was laid the “War of Languages” began. Some demanded that German be used because it was more appropriate for scientific studies. But since the majority of Technion staff insisted on Hebrew, it was adopted, and for the first time in history, Hebrew was used as a language for scientific learning.
Located on Mount Carmel overlooking Haifa Bay
Inaugurated in 1925
Some students were enrolled in 1924 and it was officially inaugurated in 1925 with only 16 students, one woman among them, all majoring in architecture and civil engineering.
Those were the times when young Jewish students were barred from technical education in Europe and itn opened the door to many of them seeking the skill necessary for developing what was to become the State of Israel. In the 1930s it absorbed many Jewish scientists fleeing Europe in general and Germany in particular.
Until the opening of the School of Engineering at Ben Gurion University in the Negev Desert in the 1970s it was the only university in the country offering engineering degrees.
Different faculties and Institutes
The Russell Berrie Nanotechnology Institute
It was established in January 2005 as a joint venture of the State of Israel, together with the Russell Berrie foundation.
It is one of the largest nanotechnology centers in the United States and Europe.
It features over 100 faculty members and about 300 graduate students and post doctoral fellows.
The Grand Technion Energy Program
The Nancy and Stephen Grand Energy Program is a multidisciplinary center of excellence bringing together it's top researchers in energy science and technology from over nine different faculties.
Founded in 2010, its 4-point strategy targets research and development of alternative fuels; renewable energy sources; energy storage and conversion; and energy conservation.
Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Management
The William Davidson Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Management is the oldest department of this type in Israel since 1958.
Its founder Pinchas Naor’s vision was to combine industrial engineering with management creating a large multidisciplinary unit covering all the activities from applied engineering to mathematical modeling; from economics and behavioral sciences to operations research and statistics.
Faculty of Medicine
Rappaport Faculty of Medicine
This is one of four state sponsored medical schools in the country. Founded in 1969 it is active in science research and medical training in anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, immunology, microbiology, physiology, and pharmacology.
Other facilities on the Faculty of Medicine campus include teaching laboratories, a medical library, lecture halls, and seminar rooms. Academic programs are offered at the Rappaport Faculty of Medicine leading to the Master of Science (M.S.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degrees.
It is located adjacent to Rambam Hospital, the largest medical center in Northern Israel.
The Old building of the Israel Institute of Technology
This institution has helped the State of Israel to be what it is today, a thriving country based on technology and a world leader in Hi-Tech where companies like Microsoft, Intel and Apple establish their branches to be able to use the Israeli brains for their projects.
Many Nobel Laureates, many CEOs of the main companies have come out of their classes, that despite its modest beginnings is today an institution bringing pride to Israel and its people.
Copyright Tuchman Israel Guide
2015 - 2019