Your SEO optimized title
A timeline from the
beginnings to the present day
In order to talk about Israel History one
need many pages and first we have to divide it into periods. The history of our
country and our people is all one. No matter where the Jews live their fate is
always linked to Israel.
I have been learning about Jewish and
Israel History since I was a child in school. I am no expert on this matter,
but will try to present to you the history in a clear and concise way in the
Wanderings of Abraham from Ur to the Promised Land
Old Testament Timeline
- 17th Century BCE – Time of the
Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Here starts the history of the first monotheistic
people and the beginning of Jews as a nation. Abraham leaves his native Ur and
settles in the Promised Land. Years later, in the times of Jacob and his sons
they had to migrate to Egypt forced by famine.
- 13th Century BCE – Moses leads
the Israelites on the Exodus out of Egypt. They wandered in the desert for 40
years, received from God the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai and enter the Land
of Israel lead by Joshua Bin Nun. They settle in the Land of Israel.
- 1020 to 960 BCE – Kingdom of Israel established
with Saul as the First King. Then King David made Jerusalem the Capital of
King Solomon's First Temple
King Solomon builds the First Temple
- 960 BCE – King Solomon builds the First
Temple in Ancient Jerusalem.
- 930 BCE – The Kingdom is divided into
Israel and Judah.
- 720 BCE – Israel is crushed by the
Assyrians and 10 of the 12 tribes are exiled. Known today as the 10 Lost tribes
- 586 BCE – Israel is conquered by
Babylonia, Jerusalem and the First Temple is destroyed and most Jews are exiled
- 536 – 142 BCE – Persian and Hellenistic
Periods. Many Jews return to the Land and the Second temple is rebuilt.
- 332 BCE – Alexander the Great Conquers
- 166 – 63 BCE – Hasmonean (Maccabean)
revolt, autonomy and later independence under the Hasmoneans.
- 63 BCE – Jerusalem conquered by Roman
General Pompey. Roman rule continues until 313 CE.
Ministry of Jesus in the Galilee
Common Era – Birth of Jesus
- 20 – 33 – Ministry of Jesus of Nazareth
- 66 -73 – Jewish revolts against the Romans,
destruction of the Second Temple. Jews resist to death in Masada.
- 132 – 135 – The uprising of bar Kochba against
- 313 – 636 – 323 years of Byzantine rule.
- 614 – Persian invasion.
- 636 – 1099 – Arab rule for 463 years.
- 691 – Dome of the rock is built on Temple
Mount on the remains of the First and Second Temple.
- 1099 – 1291 – Crusaders domination – The
Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem for 192 years.
- 1291 – 1516 – Mameluk rule for 225 years
- 1517 – 1917 – Ottoman rule for 400 years.
- 1564 – Shulchan Aruch (Code of Jewish
Law) is published.
- 1860 – Beginning of the Creation of
In the following pages I am going to
elaborate a little more about Israel History and after that the creation of the
State of Israel.
For more information visit US Office of the Historian Website
From Israel History go to Ancient Jerusalem
Go to Birth of Israel
Go to Creation of Israel
Go to Israel Archaeology
Go to Old Testament Timeline
Go to Six Day War
Go to Tuchman Israel Guide Home Page
Site Map About Us Share your Story My Blog Contact Us
Copyright Tuchman Israel Guide
2015 - 2018