The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is the most important institution of higher learning in Israel. In Hebrew it is called Ha-Universita Ha-Ivrit Bi-Yerushalayim.
This important university was founded by Lord Balfour on the April 1, 1925 on top of Mount Scopus and its first Board of Governors included Chaim Weizmann, years later the first President of the State of Israel, Martin Buber, Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Chaim Nachman Bialik, Cyrus Adler, Yehuda Magnes, Achad Haam and Rabbi Abraham Kook.
Aerial view of the University on Mount Scopus Jerusalem
Their vision was to create an internationally respected academic institution which would serve as the country’s leading educational establishment provide the Jewish people with the cultural, spiritual and intellectual resource of their heritage, and facilitate the training of new generations of scientists, philosophers, statesmen, teachers, agriculturalists and business entrepreneurs for the developing needs of a new nation that was created two decades later.
During the years 1948 when the State was founded until 1967 when Jerusalem was reunited, the Mt Scopus campus was in Jordanian Territory. After the Six Day War it was reopened for full operation.
Entrance to the Faculty of Agriculture in Rehovot
It operates three campuses in Jerusalem and one in Rehovot. In Jerusalem the campuses are in Mt Scopus where it all started, Givat Ram, near the Knesset and Israel Museum Jerusalem and the School of Medicine as part of Hadassah Medical Center in Ein Kerem. On more campus operates in Rehovot, the School of Agriculture.
It has faculties of humanities, science, social sciences, law, agriculture, dental medicine, and medicine, and schools of education, social work, pharmacy, home economics, and applied science and technology and a graduate library school.
Graduation at the Computer Science Faculty
The following are the faculties and Schools of the University
Abraham Harman Science Library
The Jewish National and University Library is the central library of the University as well as serving as the national library of the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Its collections of Hebraica and Judaica are the largest in the world.
As the central and largest library of the Hebrew University, it is also the oldest section of the university. Founded in 1892 as a world center for the preservation of books relating to Jewish thought and culture, it assumed the additional functions of a general university library in 1920.
Some more libraries located on the different campuses
Faculty of Medicine at the Hadassah Medical Center Jerusalem
The mission of the Hebrew University Jerusalem is to be Israel's first University and a multidisciplinary institution of higher learning and research serving:
Humanity by extending the frontiers of knowledge with its world renowned research
The State of Israel by training its scientific, educational and professional leadership
The Jewish people by preserving and expanding the Jewish cultural, spiritual and intellectual heritage.
Copyright Tuchman Israel Guide
2015 - 2019