Belvoir Fortress National Park known in Hebrew as Kochav Hayarden, meaning "Star of the Jordan" is a massive and amazing Crusaders Castle. It is located on a hill on the Nephtali plateau, 20 Km south of the Sea of Galilee, overlooking the Jordan Valley. These are the ruins of a crusaders castle dating to the 12th century.
At 500 meters high it commanded the route from Gilead to the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the river crossing of the Jordan.
Kochav Hayarden National Park north of Beit Shean
How to get there
Kochav Hayarden is located north of Beit Shean off route 90, about 20 km south of the Sea of Galilee. Turn west on route 717 and follow the signs for about 15 Km. Don’t despair if you think you lost your way. Keep going and follow the signs. It is worth the visit.
The park is open between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm in summer and 9:00 am to 4:00 pm in winter.
The views from Belvoir are fabulous with a view south over the Jordan Valley, north to the Sea of Galilee and west towards the valleys of the Galilee.
It is one of Israel’s best kept secrets, for adults as well as for children that will play among the ruins.
Ruins of Belvoir Fortress of the times of the Crusaders
Brief History of Belvoir Fortress
The Knights Hospitaller started its construction in 1168 of several castles of which Belvoir was the most important. At that time it became a great obstacle to the Muslim goal of destroying the Crusaders Kingdom.
The battle of Belvoir Castle of 1182 was fough between King Baldwin IV of Jerusalem and Salah A Din known to us as “Saladin”
Finally Belvoir was besieged and only after more than a year of siege, the defenders surrendered. It was governed from Damascus, until it was ceded to the Franks who controlled it until 1263.
It was an Arab village Kawkab al-Hawa, whose inhabitants fled during the 1947-48 civil wars.
The Crusaders Fortress of Belvoir in the Galilee
Architecture of the castle
Belvoir consisted of an outer fortress in the form of a square, and a smaller inner square fortress. Its walls were built with ashlar stones. They had big cisterns to hold the rain water for times of siege.
They also built a moat 14 meters deep and 20 meters wide on three sides to protect the fortress from aggressors coming near.
The four corners had huge towers besides more towers at mid point. They were protected against tunneling through the moat.
In the courtyard between the walls of the outer fortress and the inner fortress were large halls covered stables, storehouses and living space and gave access to defensive positions on the roofs.
The Inner Fortress is a 50 by 50 meter square structure, two stories high and also surrounded by a wall with towers at the corners.
The upper story served as the command headquarters of the fortress and included the apartments of the knights, as well as a small chapel built of limestone and roofed with cross vaults.
Aerial view of Kochav Hayarden National Park in the Galilee
Back to life
After centuries of abandonment, new excavations started in 1966 and then opened to the public as a National Park. Today it’s the best example of a Crusaders fortress in Israel.
Aside from the remains of the castle, the site has a stunning view and a nice sculpture garden portraying the works of Israeli artist Yigal Tumarkin.
Copyright Tuchman Israel Guide
2015 - 2018